Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Dedicated to the search for the original Bob's Big Boy Brawny Beef Recipe

Growing up in San Diego in the late seventies early eighties, we often visited a local Bob's Big Boy restaurant.  One of our favorite things to order was the Brawny Beef burger with steak fries and a side of Bob's blue cheese dressing.  The fries and the dressing I can still readily find,  but the famous Brawny Beef seems to be lost to history.   Every 6 months or so I search the Internet hoping I will come across it.  I haven't found it of course, but what I have discovered is that there are others out there searching for this recipe as well.  I'm starting this blog in the hopes that with the collective power of the Internet we can pool information on this elusive Burger.

The Bob's Big boy chain is not one unified entity but rather loosely organized, with regional differences.  From what I have gathered so far,  the Brawny Beef was unique to Southern California.

The Brawny Lad is not the Brawny Beef!!!

The menu reads

The Brawny Beef
A generous portion of ground beef seasoned
with chopped onions and spices with crisp
lettuce and a special sauce on a custom
baked bun

Are the onions mixed and cooked into the beef or just a condiment on top?  Is the seasoning just the Bob's Big Boy Seasoning you can buy in the little brown bottles?  Is the special sauce just burger sauce or tarter sauce or?

Add any info or questions to the comments below

12 comments :

  1. Hi --- Actually I worked in Ventura for a few years, and the Bob's Big Boy in that area used to serve the Brawny Beef Combo....my all time favorite. I'm looking for the recipe as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi --- Actually I worked in Ventura for a few years, and the Bob's Big Boy in that area used to serve the Brawny Beef Combo....my all time favorite. I'm looking for the recipe as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked in Ventura as well way back in the day as a night assistant manger, then later as a day manager. This was back in 1983-1984.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lived in San Jose CA and it was my fave too. It's the sauce that I crave. Sort of like tartar sauce but not quite...

    ReplyDelete
  5. They used to have a Big Boy express in the Buena Park Mall in Southern California. They had the Brawny beef sandwich and it was the best. Hope you find the recipe. I search for every so often myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No huge secret, a former waitress told me how to make them. Mix chopped onion, about four tablespoons per pound of beef. Add Bob's seasoning salt to taste. Cook patties medium well, place on toasted bun. Top with shredded lettuce and a nice dollop of Bob's Tartar Sauce. You must use Bob's Tartar Sauce, or it won't taste right. That's all there is to them, we make them at home now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Must have Brawny Beef.....Must have Brawny Beef.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was Bob's Tarter sauce as the spread for the Brawny Beef Sandwich. I worked there for 6 years. Try a Salisbury steak recipe put in on a bun (not toasted). U can find tarter sauce at Ralph's. https://www.ralphs.com/p/bob-s-famous-tartar-sauce/0007082956942

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use to work at JB's Big Boy and helped make the food in the prep area. The Brawny was cooked with chopped onions inside of the burger and seasoned with the JB's Big Boy seasoning. The special sauce was a 1000 Island that was made in the prep area. You can make your own JB's seasoning by using 3/4 Lawry's seasoned salt and 1/4 Curry Powder. This was my favorite burger that I ate every day when I worked there. I hope this help you all (JB's did not use tater sauce!! It was their own 1000 Island sauce and a hamburger meat not Salisbury steak) I worked for JB's for over 10 years and went on locations to help open other locations in others states.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I worked at Bob's Big Boy in the late 70's, it was tartar sauce. I don't like 1000 island, so I know they didn't use that. I made one today! Burger steak cooked with onions, salt, pepper and seasoned salt. Homemade tarter sauce! Just miracle whip, pickle relish and finely minced onion! It was delicious! 😋😋😋

      Delete